Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:12:26 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Rossen Raykov <rraykov@sageian.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem using sysinstall

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 12:51:48PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 02:57:08PM -0500, Rossen Raykov wrote:
>=20
> > My question is : is it normal to achieve such a results after this acti=
on?
> > Is the sysinstall behavior correct? Why there ware no warnings about ch=
anges
> > in /etc/passwd?
> > Is it normal the behavior on toor alias?
>=20
> Installing the bin distribution overwrites /etc (along with
> overwriting all other parts of the base system, like you asked it to).
>=20
> Live remote upgrades of a running system like this are dangerous for
> that reason. I did think sysinstall prompted for a root password,
> though. Even so, since you're installing on a multi-user system with

I overlooked the fact that your ssh connection was disconnected before
the upgrade finished - I assume this explains why you weren't
prompted, since systinstall was terminated when you
disconnected. However my previous note about the race condition still
stands.

There's not much which can be done about this - basically, you should
be only doing OS upgrade work on a single-user box via the console or
serial console.

Kris

P.S. Why are you allowing remote root logins, anyway?

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6--