Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 12:34:33 +0200
From:      AlistairP@foschini.co.za
To:        neuhauser@bellavista.cz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@rentboy.co.za
Subject:   RE: Sendmail not relaying to localhost (4.6 and 4.7 RELEASE)

> # AlistairP@foschini.co.za / 2002-11-21 11:30:30 +0200:
> > I had a weird problem a while ago that after installing
> > FreeBSD 4.6 RELEASE sendmail was not accepting local mail
> > for delivery.
> >
> > After looking at "mail -v <user>" I saw that sendmail was
> > not accepting relaying for the localhost.  Now I could
> > telnet to localhost on port 25 and that worked so SMTP
> > itself was running.
>
>     that's not the same thing. mail(1) doesn't talk SMTP AFAIK.

I am sure it did when I tried it last night.  My BSD box is at
home so I will give it a try tonight and then see what happens.

> > The problem turned out to be that in /etc/hosts the following
> > was missing:
> >
> > 	::1	localhost
> >
> > Now I thought that maybe that was an isolated problem with
> > FBSD4.6 but I install 4.7 last night (Mini ISO) and had the
> > exact same problem.  The /etc/hosts file did not have ::1
>
>     do you use IPv6? if not (and you're not, or you wouldn't be asking
>     the question below), it's meaningless.

Well I did not install IPv6 by default.  When I setup the network
card during the install it prompted me if I wanted to config via IPv6
or DHCP and I said no.

> > I have been told that the ::1 is a IPV6 loopback?  Is that
> > correct?
>
>     yes, it's the IPv6 loopback.
>
> > Why would it seem to be missing from the install?
>
>     *probably* because it's irrelevant in 99.5% cases?
>
>     show us your /etc/rc.conf, and your sendmail configuration.

Shall get that tonight and then pass it along.

> --
> If you cc me or remove the list(s) completely I'll most likely ignore
> your message.    see http://www.eyrie.org./~eagle/faqs/questions.html

Information contained in this e-mail is intended for the use of the person
to whom it was addressed. If you are not the addressee, you may not copy,
forward, disclose or deliver this  message or any part of it to anyone else.
If you received this e-mail in error, please reply to the sender of this
message, and delete the mail. Any views expressed in this message are those
of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them
to be those of The Foschini Group of Companies, to whom no liability shall
attach whatsoever. The Foschini Group disclaim all liability for any loss,
damage or expense however caused, arising from the use of or reliance upon
the information provided through this service. Any recipient of an
unacceptable communication, a chain letter or offensive material of any
nature is requested to report this to email address: security@foschini.co.za