Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 12:33:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSH problem (was ssh cipher)

Well the problem isn't ssh.com vs openssh.  I sshed
from the pos box to my sniffer and got in, but
couldn't ssh back again.  This is the verbose output
from the session from the pos to the sniffer:

<snip>
# ssh -v -v -v -l snort 10.x.x.x
OpenSSH_2.5.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL
0x0090600f
Contains Cisco Secure Intrusion Detection System
modifications.
Domestic strength encryption. (k9).
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to 10.20.0.124 [10.20.0.124] port
922.
debug: Allocated local port 1023.
debug: Connection established.
debug: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type 3
debug: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type 3
debug: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software
version OpenSSH_2.3.0 FreeBSD localisations 20010713
debug: match: OpenSSH_2.3.0 FreeBSD localisations
20010713 pat ^OpenSSH_2\.3\.0
debug: Local version string SSH-1.5-OpenSSH_2.5.1p2
debug: Waiting for server public key.
debug: Received server public key (768 bits) and host
key (1024 bits).
<snip>
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Sent encrypted session key.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Received encrypted confirmation.
debug: Doing password authentication.
snort@10.x.x.x's password:
<snip>

But when sshing back, I got the following:

%ssh -c 3des-cbc -v -v -v 10.20.0.90
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0 FreeBSD localisations
20010713, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090601f).
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 1001 geteuid 1001 anon 1
debug: Connecting to (null) [10.20.0.90] port 22.
debug: Connection established.
ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by
remote host
debug: Calling cleanup 0x8058204(0x0)
<snip>

Things I've ruled out:
Incompatibility with ssh.com and openssh (can ssh from
sniffer to ssh.com boxes).
Wrong user
Wrong listening port
Unallowed source IP (I can telnet in, but not SSH)
Wrong cipher - it's using 3des

Am I destined to bang my head on the desk and load
Warcraft 3?

=====