Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:05:15 +0100
From:      Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Am I an Idiot?

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <4579EB08.8080704@intersonic.se>
>             Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se> writes:
> : Am I an idiot or is anyone else out there running -current on production
> : systems? I figured if one MX goes haywire at least we've got another
> : one... Very interested in your opinion.
>
> People use -current on production servers.  But not just any old
> version of -current.  Rather, carefully selected versions of -current
> that have been validated and tested.  The -stable branches are a lot
> more likely to be suitabe for a server, but -current can be useful.
>
> However, be prepared to compile everything yourself.  Also be prepared
> to do it again when you upgrade.  While you may get a stable system
> out of it, you are signing up for the "I know what I'm doing club" and
> the bar to enter that club is a lot higher than the "I run stable
> club."
>
> It isn't recommended by the project, since at any given moment
> -current may be useful or it may have some horrible bug and the waters
> are a lot choppier.
>
> Warner

Thank you all for the input. After some consideration I've decided to go
ahead so I'm currently preparing and testing a -CURRENT system for
production use, after all, there is nothing like real life :-)

Also, it should be a nice way to find out if I now what I'm doing...

I do watch the list and also keep a backup RELENG-6 system that can go
online at any time.

Per olof