Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 11:35:24 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Burton Sampley <bsampley@slip.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dynamic title in XTerm bound to F8 (fwd)

On Thu,  5 February 1998 at 15:42:22 -0800, Burton Sampley wrote:
>> From: Burton Sampley <bsampley@slip.net>
>>
>> I have been trying unsuccessfully to bind the appropriate sequence of
>> escape characters to dynamically change the title of an xterm window to
>> F8.
>>
>> (snip)
>>
>> Is there an easier way to accomplish what I want?  BTW, I can't modify
>> .cshrc on the remote boxes.
>>
>> I have tried using string() to send the hex values for the escape key, but
>> that only seemed to echo the correct sequence to the display and would
>> only chime the bell.
>
> First, I apologize for cross posting this message to both questions and
> isp mailing lists.

I don't understand why this should interest the ISPs, so I'm replying
only to -questions.

> I thought maybe a freebsd user has experienced this problem and has
> a solution I could use.

Yes, indeed.  I have a program called xtset which does exactly what
you're looking for.  I've put it on ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/xtset.c
(source) and ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/xtset (executable).

Unfortunately, in the course of time, I seem to have lost the man
page.  The only documentation is in the source:

+   Passed a string to set the window title and / or icon name to and this string
+   is text except for % characters which introduce fields like printf.
+
+   %h is translated to hostname, excluding domain name
+   %H is translated to hostname, including domain name if gethostname returns it
+   %d is translated to current dir
+   %D is translated to current dir, only last part (unless this is src, man, doc, etc., in which
+      case the previous part is included as well) (Greg Lehey, 4 June 1993)
+   %u is current user name
+   %g is current group name
+   %U is current real user name
+   %G is current real group name
+   %m is octal current umask
+   %e is value of environment variable XTXTRA or null string
+   %t is the complete name of the stdin terminal, if it is a terminal
+   %T is the last part of the stdin file name, if it is a terminal
+   %% is a real percent sign, God knows why you'd want one but there you are
+
+   So for instance the string:
+
+   "%d@%h (%u:%g)" might expand to "/home/sol/msmith@rheya (msmith:group2)"
+
+   command line arguments are:
+
+   -t to update window title
+   -i to icon name
+
+   (if neither of these are given, both are done)
+
+   The program exits silently if the TERM variable is not set to xterm

Greg