Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:57:39 -0600
From:      Kim Shrier <kim@westryn.net>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Resuming old EFI project

On Sep 15, 2014, at 10:33 AM, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> =
wrote:

>=20
> On 09/15/14 05:09, Eric McCorkle wrote:
>> On 09/14/2014 17:13, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> People seem to have had luck with our FAT32 EFI system partitions on
>>> macs so far, but this in general is one of the big missing bits: =
hunting
>>> down weird firmwares, testing them, and fixing them when they don't
>>> work. We also need the EFI boot1 both to (a) have a better algorithm =
for
>>> finding the right UFS partition to boot from and (b) learn how to =
boot
>>> from ZFS as well as UFS.
>>=20
>> I have a 100% ZFS system, so the current boot block doesn't work for =
me (though I can tell it's being loaded and run).  GELI should probably =
be added to that list as well...
>>=20
>> I assume the best thing would be to link in the ZFS code?  Or would =
it be better to install loader into the system partition as well?
>>=20
>=20
> It's hard to integrate having loader on the ESP with the way loader =
and installworld work, so better to keep it on UFS/ZFS. The sparc64 =
boot1, on which the UEFI boot1 is based, has ZFS support already, so =
that's the place to look I think.
> -Nathan

I have a mac-mini server that I purchased in October 2013.  I would like =
to use GPT on the internal drives and boot FreeBSD.  I currently have =
the drives using MBR and booting FreeBSD 10.0. I understand that in =
order to use GPT instead, I have to have an Apple_boot partition that =
would then boot FreeBSD.  Are the UEFI code and disk partitioning tools =
able to handle this?  I am also interested in switching from UFS to ZFS. =
 Is that possible?

I have looked around in the source some, and it appears that most of the =
pieces are there but maybe not tested.  I am willing to use this =
mac-mini as a test bed and I would be willing to help iron out any =
issues.

Kim