Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2012 13:01:40 -0700
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umount device busy

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org> wrote:

> Something I'm overlooking here and a lot of questions I can't seem to find
> the answers to...
>
> I mounted a usb drive
>  mount -t ntfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt/goflex
>
> Then, as nearly as I can remember...
>  I then poked around a bit using the xfce4 browser.
>  I tried to mkdir from the mount point as a normal user:
>    cd /mnt/goflex
>    %mkdir breakaway
>    mkdir: .: No such file or directory
>  After checking write premissions, which I didn't have,
>  I did an su -l and tried again, with the same results.
>
> I then tried to unmount the drive, believing it was mounted read-only:
>    #umount /mnt/goflex
>    umount: unmount of /mnt/goflex failed: Device busy
>
> As nearly as I can tell, I don't have anything pointing at that drive.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  What does the "No such file or directory" mean from mkdir?
>    It's a relative dir name, and I'm sitting at a valid dir.
>
> 2.  How do I find out how the file-system was mounted?
>    mount (noargs) does not show read/write status
>
> 3.  I tried lsof but I don't get any output from it:
>      lsof +d /mnt/goflex -x -- /mnt/goflex
>    Where does it go if not to stdout?
>
> 4.  lsof has a *long* man page, so I'd like to save it temporarily so I
> can search it in an editor.  If I do man lsof >temp.tmp the output contains
> backspace sequences which screw up searching.  How do I get man to produce
> plain text without the control sequences?
>
> 5.  The lsof man page references a faq which is supposed to be part of the
> distribution.
>    find . -ls | grep lsof doesn't show any faq.
>
> 6.  And finally, any idea why umount says the device is busy?
>
> Seems like I should have been able to find the answer to at least one of
> those but I'm coming up short.
>
> Thanks for relevant pointers,
>
> Gary

something that *might* be helpful to you, it's a basic little man page
browser in Qt
left side of the pane shows a treeview of filesystem, so you can navigate
/bin, /usr/bin, etc.. when you click on a file it looks for the
corresponding man page and shows it on the right pane formatted html, which
is a webkit panel.

https://github.com/creamy/man-browser

i built it on a FreeBSD machine but it also works with cygwin systems and
probably GNU/Linux as well but i have not tried it.

it is intended as a way to quickly look at what's installed on your system
and possibly 'discover' and learn about previously 'unknown' commands.

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA