Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2000 18:25:11 -0600
From:      Drew Wiggins <drew@multinet-media.com>
To:        Delmir Fernandes <delmir@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Not enough information

--------------6B9B1A8B5D87F60EBA7C1F9E

--------------A69F3C6491788B1BDCCA0469

Delmir Fernandes wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am a new Linux user and always listen to others saying that

> FreeBSD is better and faster plus many large and well-known

> companies use FreeBSD. If that is so... Why is Linux so much

> more popular? Why does not exist enough (if any) documentation

> on FreeBSD? How can FreeBSD be so much poor?

    All of this has been said before ( many times ).  And in your
`documentation' question lies a summary that will answer most
of your questions.

1) What documentation are you referring to?
    - linux and windows users generally refer to things in a more
    general sense
    - users of BSD and other OS`s would have asked for
    documentation on installing the OS or another topic regarding
    the OS.

    *** I'm assuming that you're not looking for unix help
    ( because that's not really OS specific ) and there's plenty of
    documentation for that.
    *** If I asked you tell me about Windows or Linux...what
    would you say?...where would you start?

FreeBSD is a BSD based OS that provides superior server
functionality.  It is a command line OS, but comes with an
X-Desktop, for those who prefer GUI; so it also can be used as
a desktop operating system.  It comes with Megs of ported and
packaged applications.  Because it's open-source and builds from
a simple configuration file, it's completely customizable to meet
any needs.  It runs on a variety of Intel, Intel clone, and Alpha
processors with a minumum of 4Mb of memory to run.

2) How long did you spend looking for whatever documentation
    you were looking for?

    - linux and windows users generally expect things to be given
    to them without any effort. ( easy as a mouse click, right )
    - in the world of BSD, a user learns real fast the best route to
    discovery. ( But that's a trait that is aquired through a lot of
trial
    and error )

    *** browse the site, search the archives, read the man pages,
    post a `specific' question regarding the OS to questions.

<note the similarities between linux and windows users>....the linux
success comes from the `generic' user base who are fed up with MS.

> From mine point of view FreeBSD is in the place where it is because

> it's creators want so!

You're right...but I think most BSD users will tell you they want it
that way, too.

> FreeBSD would be in much better position if it were sold to the

> masses, and not only a very few experts.

You can install it, too....and if you do off the web, we won't even
charge you.

> From all the excuses you may have for making FreeBSD poor as it

> is (in content) the last one should be money. We leave in a

> capitalistic world and looks like you are trying to leave in a social/

> monetary communist world. Look at Microsoft... they are where they

> are not because their product is better (actually, their products
> s$#&),

> they are where they are because they target the masses. You can

> find the resources you need there... in the masses.

No, actually Microsoft is where it is because of an over-zealous
marketing strategy that leaves buyers with no other option...the fact
that the apps run on an `easy-to-use' OS helps, but if that were the
only factor then several other companies would have won the OS
war long ago.  Most will argue that BSD isn't in competition with
MS...there's no comparison.  Part of living in a capitalistic world is
having options...
and as far as communism goes, <see Microsoft Marketing>.
wanna see masses...subscribe to some FreeBSD mailing lists.

> The open source software amuses me, but I hate to see a GREATE

> OS like FreeBSD left behind because someone decided to run

> against the wind. Life isn't perfect but it is great if we learn to
> adapt to it.

I don't think FreeBSD is being left behind or running anywhere, it's
strong enough to hold it's own ground while other OS vendors go
running around chasing target markets.  I don't know how else to
explain this...
superior os+cheap=best deal in town
take it or leave it.

> Wow, did I just write that?
>
> Please, reply.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Delmir Fernandes
>
> delmir@hotmail.com

--------------A69F3C6491788B1BDCCA0469

&nbsp;

).&nbsp; And in your
in a more
regarding
help
plenty of
to be given
right )
best route to
through a lot of trial
man pages,

it

world is

it's

--------------A69F3C6491788B1BDCCA0469--

--------------6B9B1A8B5D87F60EBA7C1F9E

begin:vcard
n:Wiggins;John
tel;cell:(806) 786-2764
tel;fax:(806) 472-0858
tel;home:(806) 786-2764
tel;work:(806) 762-3739
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.MultiNet-Media.com/
org:MultiNetMedia;Operations
version:2.1
email;internet:drew@multinet-media.com
title:IT Director
adr;quoted-printable:;;1316 27th Street=0D=0A;Lubbock;TX  ;79405;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;-23200
fn:Drew Wiggins
end:vcard