Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 23:04:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hardware

Gustavo V G C Rios <grios@ddsecurity.com.br> wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > Can anyone point some good reference on high quality hardware that runs
 > well FreeBSD.
 > I am planning a NFS server with about 200 GB HDD.
 >
 > What motherboards, chipset, bla bla bla you wizard suggest me ?

I can recommend the ASUS P2B-LS.  It already has FastEthernet
(intel EtherExpress Pro/100) and U2W-SCSI (Adaptec) onboard.
Works very well and reliably.

You probably don't need an ultra fast CPU.  Pentium-II/III with
450 or 500 MHz should be enough.  Be sure to get enough RAM.
As for the disks, IBM U2W drives are nice.  Seagates work fine,
too.  You should also think about an approptiate backup
solution.  DLT, MLR, VXA, there are some possibilities to
choose from, unfortunately not exactly cheap, but you get what
you pay for.  Avoid DDS.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)