Date:      Thu, 27 Oct 2022 17:48:23 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poudriere

On 27/10/2022 17:25, Gerard E. Seibert wrote:
> Portmaster has an "-o" option to replace the installed port with a port
> from a different origin. Does poudriere has a similar option?

You can change the default versions of eg. python, perl, mysql etc. used
in your poudriere builds -- in exactly the same way as you'ld change
such things when compiling manually from the ports.  Except that you
need to modify a make.conf file in /usr/local/etc/poudriere.d rather
than in /etc

You can also set port options which frequently change the dependency
tree for a package.  Use:

    poudriere options -c some/port

to set options for the port, and recursively for anything it depends on.

You can build flavoured packages as required by specifying
some/port@flavor in your list of ports to build.  (or some/port@all to
build all possible flavours.)

In general the approach is to use poudriere to build a set of packages
with the desired dependencies, and then most of the time it's just

    pkg upgrade

against your custom repo to achieve the sort of change you want.  I've
been able to switch between perl and python major versions without any
drama like that.

	Cheers,

	Matthew