Date:      Sun, 03 Aug 1997 11:51:21 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ady@warp.starnets.ro, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

> Note that even if we choose to support 3.0-current instead, it won't
> be a pretty sight if tcl-8.0beta2 stays in the tree.  Most of the
> tcl/tk ports are written for tk-4.[12], meaning they need tcl-7.[56].
> So users will end up installing a new version into /usr/local anyway.

FWIW, I don't think that supporting ports in -current is a long term
strategy for success anyway.  Even if TCL had never made it into the
tree, I can easily envision multiple other scenarios which would
result in serious headaches for anyone trying to track a moving target
(and for those who've thought that -current raced along at a breakneck
pace in the past, let me just say "HA!  You haven't seen anything yet -
wait until the paid, full-time developers start coming online in more
significant numbers").

I'd like to step outside the whole TCL fracas for a moment and
consider this from a strategic point of view.  Our most important
branch of development from the customer POV is not -current, it's the
current release branch.  It's this branch which most needs packages
built for it, it's this branch which most people will install off of
CD and, if you look at the download stats on ftp.freebsd.org and other
sites, it's the most popular download target.  The folks who run
-current are another breed, and I think it's also safe to say that
they're the most capable of building their own packages and/or
adapting ports to their use (and if they're not so capable, they
probably should not be running -current in the first place).

We have shown an alarming tendency up to now to "oversell" -current as
the place to be and I see this as a very dangerous practice, only to
become all the more dangerous once we start seriously wading in with
the multiple platforms and (I think this is becoming a foregone
conclusion) ELF support.  Trying to match -current's rate of change in
the ports collection is nothing more than a recipe for insanity and
premature death among our ports team and I also think it's a waste of
their time and abilities.  Up until now we've had it exactly
*backwards* in our policy of supporting -current and dropping support
for the release branch quickly (something which has created a lot of
ill-will in the user base, I might add, as reading USENET will show)
and when I read Satoshi's announcement that he was dropping support
for -current, I felt no dismay at all.  I've always regarding this as
inevitable, and having more attention paid to our release branch as a
result can only be a good thing for the majority of our user base.

					Jordan