Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:16:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Erik Funkenbusch" <erikf@visi.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Disk locks and weird things

:Recently I've been trying to upgrade an early januarrry -current to
:current -current.  I've rebuilt the kernel several times over the last few
:days (with new cvsup's) so i've eliminated any freak check-in mismatches.
:
:During a make world (usually about 10-20 minutes in on my P100) everything
:just comes to a grinding halt.  No disk activity, but the screen saver will
:kick in (despite the shell being in the middle of said make world).
:...

    It sounds to me like you may have IDE drives and are hitting an IDE
    bug.  Look at /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT carefully and try using
    less sophisticated flags if you are using flags for your ide drive.

    Example:

controller     wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0x00ff8004
								^^^^^^^^
								these flags

    If you are using 0xa0ffa0ff try backing off to 0x00ff8004.  Or even
    back all the way off to 0x00040004.

    If you have softupdates enabled, try disabling it - not because of any
    bug in softupdates, but because it will hit the disk much harder then
    if it is off.

    If you can get everything working then try reenabling features slowly
    until you figure out which one is causing the disk lockups.

:Additionally, i've been getting No such user 'tty', service ignored messages
:from ntalk and comsat.  I'm sure these services were updated to make use of
:some tty user or something, but i'd like to know what exactly I should do
:here.

    Yes, you have to add a few more dummy users to passwd.

:I'm also getting messages from de0 and lo0 that say:
:
:de0 XXX: driver didn't set ifq_maxlen

    Ignore this.

:Finally, if I try and run top i get:
:
:top: cannot read swaplist: kvm_read: Bad address
:kvm_open: proc size mismatch (11392 total, 680 chunks)
:top: Out of memory.
:
:I assume this is from a newer kernel with older support files (such as top)
:but since I can't get world to build, I'm kinda stuck..

    Right.  don't worry about it until you get buildworld working.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>