Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:57:46 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>, Langa Kentane <LKentane@mweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: csh or bash (newbie)

On Thursday, 25 February 1999 at 11:28:37 +1300, Jonathan Chen wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Langa Kentane wrote:
>
>> The other day I asked for help on how to change the default shell for root.
>> Some told me that it was not a very good idea to change root's shell.
>>
>> Can someone explain to me why?
>
> Can't think of a reason why.
>
> Some may say that when you go into single user mode, having the
> non-default root shell will cause a problem; but FreeBSD will prompt
> you for which shell to use when you go to single-user mode (in
> which case I'd go with the default /bin/sh).

I think I might have been responsible for that rumour.  The background
was that with some other operating systems, you don't get a prompt,
and if in single-user mode you try to start a shell which requires
dynamic libraries in /usr/lib, it will just die on you.  But as you
say, you get prompted, so it's not a problem with FreeBSD.

Greg