Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 23:11:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mixed results w/ WinCast/TV

Hello!

My WinCast/TV came today.

System info:  P133, ASUS P55T2P4 mb, Mach64 GX (Graphics Ultra Pro) w/ 2MB
VRAM, Xfree 3.2, Hauppauge WinCast/TV dbx, bt848 v0.3.

Here's the current results of my playing:

1.  dtv complains it requires a "full color display."  Ok, have to drop a
screensize to 800x600x24bits or 800x600x32bits but that's workable. I
usually run 1024x768x16bits.

2.  With tv, I get a red box covering the upper-right 2/3 of the display,
and the following kernel message:

bktr0: ioctl: tsleep error 35 10000a8

The address at the end varies, it was 100001c at one point.  Pressing any
key kills tv with an X error.  On 24 bit mode, the red is interlaced with
screen lines; I can see a black "simple television app" window behind it.
Obviously the red has no bearing on where the app window is.  Also my x
pointer disappears while tv is running.  The movement picks up (virtual
screen moves) but no pointer.

3.  the vic.bktr.gz from rah works fine.  I get snow on "port 1" and
bluescreen on everything else -- I only have regular TV cable plugged in
at the moment.  Have to remember to crank the loadlimits all the way down
so the picture is smooth.  :)  I'll go get the camcorder and see what I
can see.

4.  The remote control app doesn't make anything intelligent appear, but
when I change the channels the snow pattern changes, so we may be on to
something.  This is viewing the output thru vic on port 1.

Hm, this is the exact opposite of what I was expecting...I was expecting
tv to work and vic not to. :)

Amancio, you mentioned you had to tweak the driver to work -- could you
perhaps post the patch so I could try it?

I have this sinking feeling that direct tv may not work because of the
Mach64.  Maybe I should budget this weekend trying to extract the S3 968
from the P166 and not crash Win95 in the process...:)

Good luck guys -- I'm always happy to try beta bt848 code, there's always
the backup kernel :)