Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 1997 00:14:52 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern vfs_aio.c

> On the subject of the change, the majority by number (and as far as I
> have been able to measure: by usage) of our syscalls do not use the
> retval for anything.  Consequently it is a waste of time to move it
> around on the stack like we did.

I think that people are too hung up on "I must see this much win for
a change to be considered good".

I think the larger issues are being ignored:

1)	What future work is enabled/disallowed by this change?  This
	must be the primary consideration.  If Poul needs the change
	for future work, it should go in, even if there is net zero
	win.

2)	How does the change impact the need for machine specific code?
	If it decreases the need for machine specific code, then it
	makes porting to a new architecture easier.  Porting to a
	new architecture is probably going to require a "generic"
	version of a lot of code that is currently in assembly, and
	that can be made into assembly code on the new platform after
	a minimally functional system exists (this is, at least how
	I've approached the problem).  If there is a decrease in
	machine specificity, and thus enables future work, it should
	go in, even if there is a net zero win.

3)	What are the ramifications for the proc structure?  If this
	change doesn't push the proc structure over a power of two
	boundry, or it brings it under a power of two boundry, it's
	either a NOP or a win.  Either way, the proc structure
	changes more frequently than a politicians stance on an issue,
	and if anything, it will be incentive to solve the use of
	kmem as an external interface, and it should go in, even if
	there is a net zero win.

There is such a thing as "building a platform for future work"; squash
that for the lack of a short term win, and you squash *good* research
for the dubious benefit of maintaining the status quo.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.