Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:53:49 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>, dever@getaclue.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

Dave Hayes wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:

> >> LOL. You can't prove that assertion, you don't have the means.
> >
> > You mean, of course, that I can't prove it to you, due to your
> > willful ignorance of the calculus necessary to the proof.  8-).
>
> That and mostly because -all- people do not have predicatve behavior
> sets. Some do, but not all.

Again, we are talking about predicting the behaviour of groups,
e.g.: any "large space of humanity".

For individuals, like Charles Manson, we have prisons and mental
institutions, to deal with the fact that we can't predict that
their prior antisocial behaviours will not be repeated.  For the
most part, society continues to lock someone up when it *can't*
predict their behaviour (i.e. during a parole hearing process).

> >> I disagree, and here we meet the classic Lambert/Hayes impasse.
> >> Welcome back!
> >
> > These mailing lists are completely predictable
>
> Looking at a sample of the population of the lists, I'd say this
> is more true than it is for some equal random sampling of humans.

Not really.  People who are locked up or dead are very easy to
predict, from one moment to the next, and the larger society
will (predicatbly) lock up or make dead those people whose
behaviour is anti-social.  Which leads to the predictability of
sociable behaviour by the remainder.

> It's the laboratory conditions themselves which prevent the display of
> such things.

Or that they aren't real? Occam's razor.  Lightbulbs work.  The
Catholic Church had nearly 2000 years to come up with working
lightbulbs, using your philosophical approach, and Occam's razor
achieved them in less than 200, using mine.

> >> Even the belief that there is one and only one objective reality which
> >> everyone shares whether they want to or not?
> >
> > Does that one contradict reality?
>
> Define "reality"?

That which the behaviour of is not infleunced by beliefs.

> > They are perceptual tricks.  Almost all visual tricks are based
> > on the fundamental wiring of human beings.
> > If you want me to come up with a way to duplicate a particular
> > trick, then provide a reference for the trick, so that I can
> > personally observe its operation.
>
> Blane levitates on TV. That's about the best I can do, there are
> a lot of recorded magic tricks on video and I'm sure these people
> perform somewhere.

Blane demonstrated the technique behind the trick in his
special "Street Magic".  Pick something that isn't already
publically refuted by the performer himself.  8-).

-- Terry