Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:55:03 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Merging X11BASE to LOCALBASE

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:09:27 -0500, <pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com> wrote:=

> Hello;
>
> --- Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si> ha scritto:
>
>> On Friday 14 July 2006 01:59, pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com wrote:
>> > Hi;
>> >
>> > Just here mumbling...
>> >
>> > It would be interesting to set
>> >
>> > X11BASE=3D/usr/X11     when using XFree86 and
>> > X11BASE=3D${LOCALBASE} when using XOrg.
>> >
>> > Not only due to historical consistency (/usr/X11 is the path  =

>> recommended in
>> > XFree86 manpages), but as a way to be able to use XFree86 and keep =
the
>> > system somewhat cleaner.
>>
>> Well, I was planing XFree86 would move to LOCALBASE as well - if it  =

>> doesn't,
>> ports depending on X11 would have to special case XFree86 libraries a=
nd
>> includes and such, which would make system a bit less clean. Why do y=
ou  =

>> think
>>

> Hmm.. there should be no need to have special cases for ports that  =

> properly
> respect X11BASE. Ports that don't respect X11BASE (those that have  =

> /usr/X11R6
> hard coded) should be cleaned/fixed anyways.
>

>> using /usr/X11 would make things cleaner?
>>

> I haven't checked lately but XFree86 and XOrg are currently in conflic=
t  =

> aren't
> they? One has to deinstall and rebuild all the packages built with XOr=
g  =

 =

  =

> and it
> also make an eventual clean up easier.

Nobody should install both xorg and xfree86 at the same time. It's prett=
y  =

pointless and it would cause more messy when you try to build other port=
s  =

that depend on either of it. Move everything in LOCALBASE, nothing more =
 =

and nothing less, is much cleaner.

Cheers,
Mezz

> I think the user perceived default wouldn't change, with most people  =

> using XOrg
> in LOCALBASE, and some people using XFree86 in X11BASE. Of course if  =

> eventually
> X11BASE disappears is another matter, but at least for backwards  =

> compatibility
> (4.x?) it's good to have it for a while.
>
> just my 0.02$
>
>      Pedro.
>
> Chiacchiera con i tuoi amici in tempo reale!
>  http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/*http://it.messenger.yahoo.com

-- =

mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome/  -  gnome@FreeBSD.org
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia@FreeBSD.org