Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:03:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        kunze@CS.ColoState.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: binding to a linux NIS server

> i am trying to setup my FreeBSD 4.0-Release machine to be a NIS client
> to a debian linux box. I have read the howtos for both os's and
> everything seems to be working pretty good. all the client apps (like
> ypcat) work on the freebsd machine and display what i would expect
> them to. the only thing that doesn't work seems to be login passwords.
> trying to log on or change my password with yppasswd fails. I figure
> that the problem is because of different crypt methods or something.
> Does anyone know how to get this to work.

> i even tried exporting the shadow.byname table, but again to no avail

Try to install the DES encryption subsystem (CRYPTO). Probably, you're
running md5 encryption out of the box which is not compatible to DES on
your NIS server.

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg