Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 1997 12:54:38
From:      Ross Finlayson <finlayson@lvn.com>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coe.ufrj.br>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: command line sdr ?

At 05:23 PM 12/5/97 -0200, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:
>  Luigi is now creating a command line vat-like utility.  If I could find
>a command line sdr-like utility, I could transmit and receive MBone audio
>sessions without need for X, and maybe with those programs running as
>daemons.
>
>  I've already heard about such program, but I can't find it anymore,
>nor do remember it's name.  Could somebody please point me to it, if
>it's still available ?

One thing you could use is "groupsock_tclsh": an extended version of the
Tcl shell that has multicast socket operations built-in.  You can use this
to receive (& print out) SDP/SAP announcements using the following Tcl script:

	set socket [groupsock_create 224.2.127.254 9875 127]
	while {1} {
		puts [groupsock_read $socket 8]
	}

Of course, this script only *receives* SDP/SAP announcements.  Creating and
sending your own announcements would take a bit more work :-)

"groupsock_tclsh" is available from
	http://www.lvn.com/multikit/groupsock-download.html

    Ross.