Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:41:06 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        kmcrae1@tampabay.rr.com (Scott McRae)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Adaptec SCSI controlers

Scott McRae wrote...
> I am trying to install FreeBSD off of the FTP site. I have a DELL Workstation 410 machine with 2 onboard Adaptec scsi controllers One AHA-7890 and a AHA-7880. the 90 has my hard drive, and the 80 has my two CD-ROM drives. They are both on the same IRQ and memory address. When I configure the Adaptec controller from the setup disk, it only detects the 80 controller which has the CD-ROMs, and it won't install because it doesn't see my hard drive. Is there any way I can install a second Adaptec scsi controller during setup?

The 7890 is only supported under CAM.  See:

ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/cam/README

	So, what you need to do is put your hard disk on the 7880 along
with your CDROM drives.  Install FreeBSD from the CD's.  Then upgrade to
either 2.2-stable or -current and install the CAM patches as described in
the README file above.

	Once you're running CAM, you can swap your hard disk back to the
7890 controller.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry