Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:36:47 -0700
From:      Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com>
To:        John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Subject:   Re: Upcoming release schedule - 8.4 ?

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM, John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com> wrote:

>>> Although I am not on re@, AFAIK the only schedule that is on the table
>>> is the one for 9.1.
>>>

>> Release 8.3 (April 2012) has it really been 6 months yet!
>

> We (rsync.net) are deploying our new ZFS based platform on FreeBSD. =A0Th=
is is
> a platform that needs to be live in just a few weeks.[1]
>
> We only run release software. =A0Further, I don't think anyone will fault=
 us
> for steering clear of 9.0-RELEASE. =A09.1 is probably four months away.
>
> So our choices are 8, which has no roadmap, and 9 which doesn't exist.
>
> On the one hand, we've made this choice before, when we invested hundreds=
 of
> thousands of dollars into equipment, code, training, etc. for 6.4. We've
> successfully amortized this investment over the past 4-5 years, but not
> without a lot of pain. =A0The past 24 months has been a lot of custom wor=
k,
> backporting drivers, etc. =A0We don't want to repeat this.
>
> On the other hand, we're not going to debut a new platform, to customers =
all
> over the world, on 9.0.
>
> So ... how about a kickstarter, since that's all the rage ? =A0What would=
> reasonable total be, donated to the FreeBSD foundation, that would ensure
> the maintenance of the 8.x branch for another 3 years (say, Dec 31, 2015)
> and out to (to pick an arbitrary number) 8.10 ?
>
> Just a thought ...
>

> [1] After years of evaluation and testing, spanning 6.x - 8.x.

Hey John,

So, we've (iXsystems, PC-BSD) been kicking around the idea of a Long
Term Supported version of "PC-BSD Server", which is really FreeBSD
with some PC-BSD cli tools and perhaps maintaining our own binary
update server. While we were thinking of doing this with 9.1, we can
consider 8.x. I'll speak with Kris Moore and the rest of the team and
find out what it will take.

We've hired a contract release engineer with this task in mind but
you're right, most of the work will be in backporting. I like the idea
of coming up with a number it would take and a plan to do it. We're
not the only people with the problem, obviously.

Cheers,
-matt