Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 2004 02:19:49 -0500
From:      Dennis Veatch <dveatch@woh.rr.com>
To:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   aic7xxx and ext3, JFS and reiserfs on /

I am having a problem booting with this kernel. The machine is an IBM PC
Server 330 (dual), ServeRAID (Raid 5 with 1 hot swap) and the aic-7880
(built-in). The OS is Mandrake Cooker.

Once the aic7xxx.ko is loaded all appears fine. When it starts initrd there
are mount error 6's as it tries with notail, etc, eventually it gives up and
pivot_root fails with a error 2. Which is followed with a panic, not finding
init and says try passing init=. The system boots fine with 2.4.24 so I am
sure there is no problem with grub.

I have tried passing aic7xxx verbose, reverse_scan and panic_on_abort. Well
nothing happened so I can only assume there is not a problem with aic7xxx.ko.
At least I am sort of, kind of sure.

I have tried rebuilding initrd with mkinitrd -v and the output seems normal.
At least there are no compaints.

I have replaced the hard drive, ran a media check and even low-level formatted
the critter. No change.

I have been wrestling this for several days now and well, that's why I'm here.
Looking for the bone that eliminates the driver for sure.

--
Registered Linux user 193414
http://counter.li.org

"Trying"? My contribution was much closer to a "feeble wave in the general
direction of something that might lead you one step closer to a solution
if you squint really hard and do all of the work."