Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 20:20:14 +0200
From:      Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net>
To:        Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM <tforrest@mcs.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Programming/FreeBSD and what not

/proc is not really a directory, it is a virtual filesystem providing
programs with a "sneak peek" at what is going on in the kernel. when
opening a file in /proc, you are actually reading a from a location in
the memory. fbsd has a certain structure of the proc filesystem progs
can use to get the info they need, and so does linux. But linux has a
different structure for the procfs. Therefor, if a prog needs to read
some info from the kernel and uses the /proc fs, and it's a linux app,
it's trying to read some info the linux kernel exports. the thing is,
fbsd doesn't neccesarily export the same info, and if it does, it's
probably not in the same file, and maybe not all in a single file or
alone in a file. This makes it difficult since you would have to
modify the code to get it to read the info it needs from the correct
location(s), which means lots of programming and tweaking :) You
should probably try something intended for fbsd, not linux, if you
don't feel like programming.

--
Oren Sarig
sarig@bezeqint.net