Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2012 07:59:26 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <wlosh@bsdimp.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>
Subject:   Re: Allow user install

On Jun 26, 2012, at 4:54 AM, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net> writes:
>> The patch below is a step towards supporting unprivileged buildworld
>> etc.  Eg.
>=20
> Wow, this is really cool - and long overdue.

Yes.

> I've been thinking for a while that some bor^H^H^Henterprising soul
> should hack install(1) so that if a specific environment variable is
> set, it writes the file to a tarball instead of writing it to disk.
> Unfortunately, there would still be a ton of ${LN} etc. that would =
need
> to be handled somehow.  Perhaps install(1) should have an option to
> create symlinks so we could use that instead of ln -s, in the interest
> of reducing the number of different tools used during installation.

I'd prefer that to this hack, honestly, but this hack is cool.  NetBSD =
did this years ago, and bringing it and the changes to xtree would be a =
good thing.  There's also a number of mkdirs that also need to be =
updated.  Let's not reinvent the wheel here, when there's a perfectly =
good wheel elsewhere.

> (BTW, I find INSTALL_OWN confusing - how about UNPRIVILEGED_INSTALL or
> USER_INSTALL?)

Well, the former is more correct.  The latter are the real goal :)  I'm =
not sure I like any of the names, but that will work itself out.

Warner