Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:21:06 +0100
From:      dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail queue

Troy Settle wrote:

> Clarification please.  I use qmail myself, but was recently asked about this
> functionality in sendmail.
>
> It is/was my understanding that (assuming all sendmail):
>
> - all MX hosts need to have the domain listed in the access.db
>   to allow relaying

All hosts you would like to allow to use your server for RELAY
should be listed in the access.db.
It don't matter if they have and MX to you or not.

> - primary MX has domain in sendmail.cw

yes .. only when it delivers all the mail local.

Instead the primary MX server may send all mail
via the mailertable to a host behind a firewall,
which holds all the mail accounts and delivers local.

All names for local delivery must be listed in sendmail.cw
or named "/etc/mail/local-host-names".

> - if a secondary MX recieves a message, it attempts to deliver
>   to primary/better MX or queues the message until it can
>   complete delivery

right.

> - if the mail needs to go to a mail server that is /not/ the
>   primary MX, then on each MX you would create an entry in the
>   mailertable:
>
> 	domain.com smtp:real-mail-server.domain.com

right.
But you would like to write:
	 domain.com smtp:[real-mail-server.domain.com]

Otherwise your get an error if real-mail-server.domain.com
is not accepting, and sendmail will complain the MX points
back to itself.

kind regards Dirk

- Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Germany