Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 17:03:26 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@www.svzserv.kemerovo.su>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   strange behavour of stock ftpd in STABLE: ports exhausion?

Hi!

I use standard ftpd coming with FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE.

My /etc/sysctl.conf contain these lines:

net.inet.ip.portrange.hifirst=49152
net.inet.ip.portrange.hilast=49200

This should restrict number of concurrent passive mode connections to 49.
But this does much more. Suppose, a ftp client has good link to server,
100Mb ethernet in my case. Suppose it uses passive mode and starts
to download very bug number of files sequentially, one then next then next...
It says TYPE I, PASV, RETR, TYPE I, PASV, RETR...
So, it can download 49 files in a row then server says
425 Can't open passive connection: can't assign requested address

If client does not break control connection, waits a little and
starts to download the rest of files, it can download next 49 files and so on.

There are no other clients connected meantime.
How can this happed?

Eugene Grosbein