Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:36:16 -0600
From:      "Bob Giesen" <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
To:        "Mark Yeck" <y3k@gti.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A question from a convert from Windows to FreeBSD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Yeck" <y3k@gti.net>
To: <BobGiesen@earthlink.net>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 9:24 PM

> I honestly think there are some misconceptions about how easy windows is
to install. Just because 99% of people use windows doesnt mean that 99% of
the people can install it. I doubt if there are many unsophisticated users
who could install windows. I know quite a few users with a wide variety of
experience. I dont think that any of them would be able to install windows
and not able to install freebsd.

   Let's not inflate the m$ stock any more than we need to; I think they
only have about 94% of the OS installations. ;-)  And, to be fair, it should
be mentioned that a great many OS installations are not done by users at
all; the machines come preloaded. Of course, that usually only lasts so long
before m$o$ must be reinstalled for sake of sanity... Seriously, though,
on_a_clean_installation (which is certainly something less than 99% of the
installations done), accepting their defaults will result in a fully (well,
okay -- reasonably, if not fully) functional machine -- with simply
inserting the CD and clicking the mouse a few times.

> That's not to say that the freebsd installation procedure couldnt use
improvement, but i seriously doubt that microsoft's domination has much to
do with ease of installation.

   I disagree.  The inclusion of a wide range of working drivers supplied by
hw vendors (read "at no cost to m$") allows them to concentrate more on
other work, including ease-of-use issues.

> What parts could be automated better? It's been a little while since I've
done a fresh install, but i think you can go through almost all of the
installation selecting defaults.

   Right off the top, the modem installation and configuration comes to
mind.  Going online is a big, big part of computer use, these days.  Most
users don't want to have to wade through a few pages of instructions on how
to make sure their modems are being detected, then having to learn about ppp
and chap scripts to go online...
   When I installed w98, my modem was detected and a default configuration
created, without input from me.  In order to go online, I had only to open a
wizard (Internet Connection Wizard) which asked me for a phone number for my
ISP -- that's all!  (Yes, I renamed the connection to match that of my ISP
and added an optional AT command set to suit my set-in-my-ways taste, but
that was strictly unnecessary -- and very simple.)  Of course, the first
time I connected, I had to supply my login and password, but I was prompted
for it -- I didn't have to edit any files (let alone know which ones to
edit).  Yes, the instructions are out there for accomplishing the feat in
FreBSD, but w98 makes it very easy to get the modem & connection up and
running.
   It would be nice if it were so easy in FreeBSD.  By all means, KEEP the
textual config files (since it's nice to be able to use scripts for admin
tasks), but the installation procedure could be simplified.

> Seriously, though, your input as a fresh convert from windows is very
useful. If you can let people know specifically what parts of the
installation were troublesome, they will improve them in future versions.

   Actually, I'd love to even help, someday, but I'm afraid that will be
some considerable time into the future...