Date:      Thu, 5 Mar 1998 22:30:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best POP/IMAP server ?

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Joe McGuckin wrote:

> We're currently using the POP/IMAP server that comes with PINE
> (version 4.38). We get occasional problems due to timeouts caused by
> large attachments in users mailboxes.

POP insists on copying the entire mailspool before transmitting mail.
This may be taking too long such that the client is timing out.  This is
particularly a problem with Eudora.  Simply bump the timeout, or encourage
your users to avoid sending large attachments (certain sendmail.cf changes
can help enforce this policy).

> Is there a 'better' POP server out there?

qpopper is pretty much it; we use the old ipop3d on our server but only a
few people use it regularly and we limit mail to 2MB/message since it
insists on blowing up procmail.

> Is anybody using IMAP yet ?

I am right now with Pine.  Pretty much required for how my mail sorting
works.