Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:33:34 -0600
From:      "Brian McCloskey" <bmccloskey@leader-group.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 7895 On-Board SCSI Controller

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 11:35:14AM -0600, Brian McCloskey wrote:
> > I don't know if I have done something wrong or not, and I will try
> > the -a option at the boot prompt when I try it again, but I
> > installed FreeBSD 3.0, and used the fixit floppy with the CAM files
> > to install the new kernel.  Then when I reboot, the system starts to
> > come up, and configures all of the devices and then at the end
> > brings up a message like "Reboot of the system in 15 seconds.  Press
> > any key to abort reboot".  I can't remember the exact message, but
> > along those lines.
>
> That's the _end_ of a panic message, where you're told why it
> panic()s.  Probably a case of "can't mount root", but you'd be
> interested in looking at where it tries to mount root from (and which
> devices are up - possibly not all, even if it looks like "a lot of
> them").
>
> Eivind.

That's very interesting, because when I was installing FreeBSD, it would
newfs my /var and /usr partitions, but not my root.  So then it would come
back saying that it was unable to put files in /etc.  I had to boot from
the fixit floppy and newfs it manualy, and then create the /etc/directory
before it would ever put anything on the system.  Now that you are
mentioning a possible wrong root, I will attempt to force a boot from the
correct partition.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian McCloskey             | Leader Group
Consultant                  | 5200 DTC Parkway
 ph: 303-773-9700           | Suite 500
fax: 303-773-9610           | Englewood, CO 80111