Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 1996 15:40:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog>
To:        hdalog@zipnet.net
Cc:        scsi
Subject:   Re: Setting disk sector size?

> > Yes, we have this option too (with a Tandem box, of course), and if
> > things get too hard I'll do just that.  But I didn't want to give up
> > without a fight :-)
> >

> See if something like this works.  You'll have to remove the final
> "echo".  I haven't tried it - I don't have a disk I'm willing to
> change the sector size on right now.
>
> (script omitted)

OK, I tried this one out.  It showed the correct geometry, but it
didn't take the command.  Here's a summary of the error messages:

Returned host adapter status 2:

15 00 04 00 0c 00

Illegal request

Info field and command specific info fields are both invalid (0).

Additional sense code 24, qualifier 0.

Senseinfo (32 of 48):

70 00 05 00 00 00 00 18 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 01 32 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Sorry I don't have the exact info, but the machine isn't conected to
the net yet.  If any of this looks garbled, I'll try better.

This is beginning to look like the disk doesn't like being talked to
in this language.  Do you think it's worth following up on your other
suggestion?  What about resetting to the default values (which include
512 byte sectors)?

Greg