Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 2004 13:43:12 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Ralph M. Los" <Ralph@boundariez.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Supporting backup batteries over serial port?

Ralph M. Los wrote:

>Hi,
>	I'm thinking of converting the last of my servers (Win2k) to
>FreeBSD.  This last box has the following things, and I want to make
>sure I can get the equivalent in FreeBSD.  Could someone give me
>suggestions on the stuff I can't find info on?

This is a long list, so you've a good bit of work to do.
Generally, it can all be done.  I must say I've not much
experience with some of the below, though.

>1. Backup (PowerChute-like app, from Belkin?) --> don't know of any
>alternative in FreeBSD

There are a couple.  nut, upsmon, and upsd are all under
/usr/ports/sysutils.  I set nut up a while back, but my UPS
battery died before I got it working (here at home) and I've
not yet replaced it.  (After a recent round with fsck, I've
found I need to make that a higher priority...)

>2. Exchange 2000 --> Qmail + SquirrelMail + clamAV + SpamAssassin ??
>(How hard is this to setup?)

Can't say.  Sendmail dual + SpamAssassin/clamAV/amavis here.

>3. Split-DNS server (internal and external) --> Is there a how-to on
>BIND for this?

Probably.  Google is your friend, of course; also, there is a list of
additional references in the handbook, 19.10.10 (which, as you have
noticed, tells a lot about running BIND but not necessarily[?] about
split DNS...

Yup.  Check www.samba.org for docs...

>5. Backup Server (BackupExec v9.1) --> Arkeia backup solution?
>(Freeware?) or comp??

There's a bit of talk about "bacula" --- I'm looking into it
soon.

>THANKS everyone, 3 down, one to go!
>
>|Ralph

Good luck!