Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 17:20:41 -0500
From:      drwho <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP Masq breaks sendmail

I have the following setup:

FreeBSD 3.1-Stable with internal net addr 192.168.16.1 on interface xl0.
This machine connects to the net with a static IP/hostname through pppd
on interface ppp0.  I am using natd to handle masquerading/aliasing here.
All seems to be OK (for the most part) until I try to send mail.

Since my local net does not have a registered domain name/IP addr, remote
mailers often reject mail coming from my site.  What I need to do is
"alias" my outgoing mail (in other words, any mail NOT intended for the
local network) to appear to come from my ISP assigned address and hostname.

I *do* have "DMxnet.com" in my /etc/sendmail.cf, and it appears this much of
it is working.  But some mailers that do DNS lookups on hostnames when they
receive the mail don't see this part, they only see the name assigned to my
LAN, which NO ONE except my internal net should see.

Any help with this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Fight email spam:  http://www.cauce.org/