Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:32:46 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mike Saunders <mike@aster.fsnet.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   USB joystick support

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any info on USB joystick support under
FreeBSD (current/stable). I've browsed the man pages and source, and done
a lot of searching, but the results have been inconclusive:

# The main FreeBSD USB development page at www.etla.net/~n_hibma/usb/
states that gamepad support is one of the "further away" tasks, so I
assumed it wasn't present.

# The source and man pages for USB devices on my 4.5-RELEASE installation
don't appear to mention it either...

# But! The BZFlag Port, for instance, has a few patches enabling USB
joystick support for that particular game, and Google has brought up some
posts on mailing lists suggesting that they work.

I might be missing something here, but if anyone can give any pointers or
share their experiences with USB joysticks under FreeBSD, I'd be most
grateful. I tend to run a lot of console emulators, so gamepad support is
pretty important (and there's no old-style port on the sound card here).
I'm planning to switch to FreeBSD on my main desktop box full-time, so any
help here would be great.

Thanks in advance.

--
Mike Saunders -- mike@aster.fsnet.co.uk