Date:      Sun, 21 Nov 1999 23:26:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        randy@psg.com (Randy Bush), freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DLT2000 must have tape at boot to write

Matthew Jacob wrote...
> > > it really sounds like broken h/w to me. What do you think?
> >
> > hmmmm.  not disagreeing, but am trying to think of all possibilities before
> > rmaing the wrong part or buying new.
> >
> > what if i have some parameter mistuned on the cmos?
> >
> > could it be a p2b-ds motherboard multi-scsi issue with the tape and the
> > disks being dumped on the same controller?
> >
> > to kind of test this hypothesis, i just rdumped another (even larger) system
> > to this tape drive over 100baseT.  the rdump was successful.
> >

> Not disagreeing, but it still sounds like h/w to me. The question is 'which'?
> Do you have another SCSI controller to put your drive on? You have a
> wide ultra2 mixex with narrow/fast. Seems like asking for trouble
> (I'm sure ken/justin will tell me if I'm all wet..)

That isn't bad in and of itself.  The ASUS boards are essentially like a
2940U2W.  They've got a 7890 on board, plus a 3860 SCSI-SCSI bridge to
separate the Ultra2 part of the bus from the single ended part of the bus.

The thing that's bad is the Unexpected Busfree Randy reported in an earlier
message.  That smells like a firmware problem, although it's hard to say
for sure.  Justin might have a more concrete idea.  (You may need to mail
him directly with the relevant error messages.)

It could be that the tape drive doens't play well on the SCSI bus with
other devices, or doesn't work well when there's a lot of load on its bus.

I think Matt's suggestion is a good one -- see if you can grab another
controller to put your drive on to separate it from your disks.  Your dump
over 100BaseT would be similar, from the tape drive's standpoint, to having
the tape drive on a different SCSI bus.  (since you weren't dumping from
disks on the same SCSI bus)

Even if the DLT drive has broken firmware, you may be able to work around
the problem by putting it on a separate SCSI bus.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org