Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 01:10:33 -0400
From:      Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, KDE FreeBSD List <kde-freebsd@lists.csociety.org>
Subject:   Re: troubles with the FAM port

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 08:54:34PM -0700, Annelise Anderson wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Alan E wrote:
>
>> ==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==
>>
>> 1. In order to run this port, please add the following line to /etc/rpc if
>> it is not already there:
>>
>> ==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==
>> sgi_fam		391002
>> ==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==
>>
>> 2. If you wish to run fam from inetd (the recommended method), then
>> please add the following lines to /etc/inetd.conf if they are not
>> already there:
>>
>> ==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==
>> # FAM: File Alteration Monitor [devel/fam]
>> sgi_fam/1-2	stream rpc/tcp wait root /usr/local/bin/fam	fam
>> ==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==
>>
>> After modifying /etc/inetd.conf, you must (as root) run:
>>
>> 	killall -HUP inetd
>>
>> 3. If, instead, you wish to run fam as a system daemon, then (as root)
>> do the following:
>>
>> 	cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>> 	cp fam.sh.sample fam.sh
>> 	/usr/local/etc/rc.d/fam.sh start

>> ==8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<====8<==

>> cooperation in following instructions, I can't really do anything for
>> you.
>>
>I had the same trouble as the original poster with fam, which is
>needed by kde2; I've given up on kde3 for now (on -current).

We're working on kde3 on -current. Really, we are. There have been some
problems with our build system; I've been out of contact with will@ for
a few days so I don't know the status right now.

>I finally installed the fam package.  The startup script says
>"Can't determine PREFIX."  (I had this problem with one of the

That's because you must run it with an absolute path. It's a "feature".
Run all those scripts like "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/script start|stop";
many of them are designed to barf if you don't do it like that.

>dhcpd scripts as well, but solved it some other way.)  The
>list of what to do is unclear--I think it means to say that 1 is
>necessary and either 2 or 3; actually it's also necessary to
>enable (or run) portmap.

You are correct. 1 is necessary under all conditions. Then you can
choose either 2 or 3.

AFA running portmap goes, I'll add a bit to that effect to the message;
I'll also try to make it clearer about the choices available to you.

Thanks for the constructive criticism; making it better helps everyone.

>Annelise Anderson
>Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC
>Available from:	 BSDmall.com and amazon.com
>Book Website:    http://www.bittreepress.com/FreeBSD/introbook/

Oh, cool, a celebrity! And a female FreeBSD tech writer at that! I think
you're a relatively rare sub-species of BSD geek. 8=)

Oh, I removed the "Charlie Root" guy from the Cc: line 'cause his email
address bounces.

--
AlanE
KDE-FreeBSD Team