Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:22:14 -0600
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        re@freebsd.org
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Blade 100 w/ 5.4-PRERELEASE console

--bQaHVRvwpJFI6oid

Hello,

David O'Brien asked me to email you about this issue.  I have a
Sun Blade 100 running FreeBSD since 5.0.  Recently, it appears
that a change was made to uart(4) which causes the console to
break.  With older RELENG_5 kernels (specifically, mine from
November 2004 and the Feb_2005 SNAP001 version), the kernel sends
messages to ttya (serial console).  However, with the recent
versions, you have to set {output,input}-device to "ttya" in the
OpenBoot PROM, to get the kernel messages.  I believe the system
will still boot.  But apparently with Solaris (and older FreeBSD)
the kernel sent messages to the serial console without needing to
mess with the OBP variables.  I believe this is needless pain for
users trying to install FreeBSD on their Blade 100s (and possibly
other models).

This issue was also encountered with the 6.0 Feb_2005 snapshot.

Thanks for listening.

Regards,
--=20
wca