Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 14:36:23 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bus Errors

At 07:57 PM 2/9/97 -0700, you wrote:
>On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Jamie Bowden wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Charles Mott wrote:
>>
>> > What does "Bus error" mean?

A 'bus error' is when a CPU tries to access something that is outside the
bus specs.  This usually involve some sort of illegal address; eg, on 68000
and 68010 processors, accessing a word or long (16- or 32-bit value) on an
odd address could cause this.  Under FreeBSD, I don't know what would cause
this instead of a segmentation fault - the 486 (at least) hasn't got any
such thing as a bus error.  I would guess a stack overrun somewhere causing
very very wrong code to be executed.

>> Amazingly enough, a buss error is a memory allocation error.  At least it
>> was under SunOS.  I am guessing FreeBSD is the same on this.
>>
>> Jamie Bowden
>
>I've seen it a few times with the ppp+pktAlias1.9.  It doesn't appear to
>be getting malloc() errors, though.  I see the problem with an ISP
>connection that is really unreliable.  Is anyone working on lqr for ppp?

I haven't been having any problems with the 1.9 version at all.  I'm
running with all extra options turned off, though - no use_sockets, no
same_ports.

Could you give me a core dump of this (you'll have to run the program as
root, turning the setuid bit off, otherwise it won't dump core) with the
corresponding executable (compiled with -g, and not stripped)?

>Is this type of post too off-target for -hackers?

Well, usually people like to get some more information right away, as that
make it easier to give specific help at once.

Eivind Eklund  perhaps@yes.no  http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/
eivind@freebsd.org