Date:      Thu, 10 May 2012 09:26:54 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please help me diagnose this crazy VMWare/FreeBSD 8.x crash

Quick update:

I have received word last night that this crash has been consistently
happening to someone on FreeBSD 9 and they're looking for more ideas. I
changed the following 41 days ago:

- Video memory to "auto" if it wasn't already
- SCSI controller changed from LSI Logic Parallel to LSI Logic SAS

It uses the same driver (da) but so far has been holding steady for us. As
far as the video memory -- many of our servers somehow had video memory
set to 1MB which seemed strange; newer builds of FreeBSD on ESXi do not
show this option. Perhaps there was a build of ESXi in the past that had a
different setting for video memory when you selected FreeBSD?

Another change people might want to do as suggested to us by VMWare
Support:

- Change CPU/MMU Virtualization to the bottom option -- "Use Intel
VTx/AMD-V for instruction set virtualization and Intel EPT / AMD RVI for
MMU virtualization"

Supposedly there are autodetection issues here with some OSes -- they
named some BSDs and Netware.

I'll provide further updates if anything changes, but this seems to be
working well so far. We won't begin to trust it until we can hit at least
100 days of uptime, though. Unfortunately I was hoping to upgrade these
servers to 8.3 before then...