Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 13:03:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        randyd@nconnect.net, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: postgresql build failure on SMP machine

On Tue, 20 May 1997, Steve Passe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >I built a UP kernel on the SMP machine and boot to it.  Incurred the
> >same problem.
>
> If I am understanding you correctly a NON SMP kernel exhibits this problem.
> If this is true then its obviously not an SMP problem.  If the issue is that
> you observe this problem on an SMP motherboard, but don't on other hardware
>you test with, it is *probably* not related to the SMP specific portion of the
> hardware.  I think a more detailed description of just where it runs and where
> it fails is needed.

	FYI, in case this helps...I'm maintainer for hte source code of
PostgreSQL, and am running it on both FreeBSD 3.0-Current at home as well
as FreeBSD 2.2 at the office, neither having exhibited this problem...

	You made a comment in a previous email about running other processes...
PostgreSQL forks off 'child processes' for each incoming request, with it
using Shared Memory (SysV IPC) to communicate between processes...if that
makes any difference, or helps...

	The initdb command that Randy was talking about doesn't fork off
any process though, the forking only occurs on an initialized/live system

Marc G. Fournier                                 scrappy@hub.org
Systems Administrator @ hub.org              scrappy@freebsd.org