Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 14:08:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SECURING NFS

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Randy A. Katz wrote:

> Is there a way to secure NFS? I have a backup server which mounts the main
> server and takes a backup in the middle of the day. It must backup as root.
> Is this securable.

I don't think it is possible to use "secure" and "NFS" in the same
sentence :-)

Why don't you use Amanda to back up the disk remotely, using dump?  Should
be a whole lot faster than mounting via NFS, and that you can secure
relatively well.  It also doesn't need root access (use the user operator
group operator to do the backup).

Evan