Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 13:01:08 +0200
From:      Alwyn Schoeman <alwyns@littlecruncher.prizm.dhs.org>
To:        Craig Beasland <craig@hotmix.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Directory Services

Your best bet for finding out what "directory services" is, is to
visit novell's site at www.novell.com.  This will have the best
information as it pertains to corporate environments.

NDS has been around for about 7 years now, maybe more and NDS 8 (the newest)
will make Active Directory look like a toy when you take robustness, time syn-
chonization,redundancy,remote control, automatic software configuration, ZEN,  into account.  NDS 8 is also fully LDAP compatible.
I myself have been working in NDS environments for the last 4 years, and cannot
help but laugh at the starry eyed Active Directory supporters at my new company
who wants to run it over a wan with 64Kb links (also used for internet access)
:)

There is supposed to be a Linux version in the pipeline which may or may not
work on freebsd.  There's also some other products that allow you to integrate
NDS with NIS I think. Very costly though...