Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 1997 11:17:41 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scsi spindown

As Michael Smith wrote:

> > Has anyone modified FreeBSD-anything to spindown scsi (direct) drives
> > after some period of non-use?

> A lot of disks will refuse to spin down.

So you won't get this feature for these old suckers, what's the deal?

>  Better to configure your disks
> to spin themselves down using scsi(8) if they support it.

Where should this be supported?  IDE drives do sometimes support this
(though the standard is very very funky for this), but SCSI?  I've
never stumpled across a mode page setting that allows for an auto
spindown.

The `od' driver supports spindown while the device is being unused.
Supporting spindown while the device is open will requires some
restructuring of the code.

--
cheers, J"org