Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:44:38 +0200
From:      Bernhard Froehlich <decke@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Thomas Steen Rasmussen <thomas@gibfest.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: www/phpvirtualbox needs vboxwebsrv for VirtualBox

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:26:40 +0200, Thomas Steen Rasmussen
<thomas@gibfest.dk> wrote:
> On 12-08-2010 17:19, Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 02:02:07 +0200, Thomas Steen Rasmussen
>> <thomas@gibfest.dk>  wrote:

>> ?

>>> Hello again,
>>>
>>> OK so I found out I was working with an old ports tree - sorry for the
>>> noise,
>>> vboxwebsrv is indeed available as an option in the current VirtualBox
>>> 3.2.6 port.
>>>
>> Yeah correct. The virtualbox-ose port has an WEBSERVICE option that is
>> disabled by default. I will discuss this and see if we can enable it by
>> default or find another solution for phpvirtualbox users. There is also
>> no
>> rc startscript for vboxwebsrv at the moment because of lack of time but
>> it's on my todo list.
> Cool, that would be nice to have.
>> If you want to test phpvirtualbox i recommend that
>> you use virtualbox-ose 3.2.8 because it contains a lot of performance
>> improvements for vboxwebsrv.
>>
> I'm already upgrading, thank you.
>
> Another question: As I understand it it is not possible to start virtual

> machines with headless
> VNC enabled from phpvirtualbox, as the VirtualBox API doesn't support it

> yet - do you happen
> to know if this is correct, and whether there is a solution in the
> pipeline somewhere ?

Currently phpvirtualbox only supports RDP with an flash based client in
the browser. I've talked to the author about adding an VNC client and he
seems to plan to add it in the future. There is also an ticket for this now
[1] and he seems to have problems with the API because they lack VNC
support. So I will raise this problem to the vbox developers and see if
this situation can be improved. This will definitely take some time.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/phpvirtualbox/issues/detail?id=33

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/