Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2012 18:12:20 +0700
From:      Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable ML <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 9 crash/deadlock when dump(8)ing file system with journaling enabled.

A few days ago I discovered that running dump(8) on a file system which
has journaled soft updates enabled causes the machine to become
unresponsive.  This is using FreeBSD 9.0-R.   I can still interact with
the system a little bit (typing echos back) but never get a response to
any action.   It seems like there is an I/O issue (deadlock or overload)
and CPU usage spikes as well.  Resetting the machine seems to be the
only solution once this occurs (CTRL-C, CTRL-ALT-DEL, logging in again,
etc all fail).

Disclaimer: I have only tested this as a VM under ESXi 5.0 as I don't
have access to any physical servers with 9.0 on them that I can test
with (I will soon though).

As a side note this is the same issue reported here:

For now I've turned off journaling (soft updates seem fine) and that
works around the issue.

Let me know if I can provide more details etc!

--

Adam Strohl
A-Team Systems