Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:53:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@free.fr>
To:        Alexandr Litvin <postmaster@g-r-g.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sym0 problem

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Alexandr Litvin wrote:

> Hi!
> I have some problem with sym0 scsi driver
> FreeBSD 4.2
>  sym0:6: ERROR (0:98) (8-28-0) (8/13) @ (scripta 718:18000840).
> sym0: script cmd =3D 88080000
> sym0: regdump: da 10 80 13 47 08 06 1f 80 08 86 28 80 00 00 00 00 b0 cf 0=
1 08 ff ff ff.
> (noperiph:sym0:0:-1:-1): SCSI BUS reset detected.

Looks rather the HBA that has problems with your SCSI BUS. :)

Bit 8 in 0x98 (SIST) means SCSI GROSS ERROR (May-be I should add some
additional verbose printf's in the driver, but this would waste useful
memory and this would not help available user in my opinion).

(A best plan could be to write some userland tool that reads the syslog
and spits out detailed messages as verbosely as user can support.)

SCSI GROSS ERROR means that your SCSI BUS is not SCSI capable. :)
You want to check cables, terminations, etc...

A short term solution for you can be to lower the SCSI data transfer
speed. This can make the problem less likely to occur.

  G=E9rard.