Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 2004 01:10:43 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: in.c autoadding prefix route

--nextPart1688102.c5n1zZPv4L

On Thursday 11 November 2004 22:29, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> On Thu, 11.11.2004 at 21:24:05 +0100, Max Laier wrote:
> > The patch allows to add more than on IPv4 address with the same prefix.
> > In the case that there is a route already, we leave it alone and add the
> > new address without the IFA_ROUTE flag. When we remove an address later
> > on, that has a route associated, we try to find an alternative address =
> > use for the route and hand it over.
>
> Assume I have two computers hooked up via Ethernet and via Firewire
> (if_fwe). Will this commit allow me to place all four IP addresses of
> the interfaces into the same subnet and have FreeBSD re-route the
> packets through Firewire if the Ethernet link goes down (or vice versa)?
>
> Or do I need to go CARP for this to work?

The route is only handed over when the address is removed. It might help yo=
u=20
when you have a laptop with a wireless card. You can first surf on your cou=
ch=20
and later walk to your desktop, plug in the cable and unplug the PCMCIA ...

This however, is not the primary goal here and CARP might indeed be what yo=
u=20
are looking for ...

BTW: I forgot to advertise (and people actually asked) CARP patches can be=
=20
found at: http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/CARP/

=2D-=20