Date:      Thu, 07 Jun 2012 19:53:40 +0200
From:      Mel Flynn <rflynn@acsalaska.net>
To:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Olli Hauer <ohauer@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports registering services in /etc/services and services_mkdb

Hi Olli,

On 7-6-2012 16:59, Olli Hauer wrote:

> I don't think it is practical to patch all the ports like
> like bacula , spamd and others to not use getservbyname
> and hardcode the required ports?

I've got a preliminary patch that I'm going to submit upstream that
enables services support in net/nss-pam-ldapd. Services aren't as
flexible as users/groups in that you can assign ranges for different NSS
sources, thus running services_mkdb may in fact interfere with a site's
infrastructure if the particular service has already been defined on a
different port.
Maybe it's wiser to standardize a pkg-message string?
Also, one should never touch /etc/services if nsswitch.conf does not
contain compat or files and finally, adding a single service without
/etc/services using services_mkdb is not currently possible.
--
Mel