Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:43:33 +0000
From:      Holger Kipp <Holger.Kipp@alogis.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   INFO: Problem with latest HP ProLiant GL360 G3 [workaround]

Hi,

I just wanted to inform everyone who is using HP ProLiant GL360 G3, that
we had some trouble with one of the latest system we got:

HP changed the BIOS such that fans will operate more silently. As a side effect,
our SMP-system crashed after some time due to thermal problems. For Linux and
other supported systems, additional tools exist to control the fan speed from
OS-level. I consider this a very bad idea...

For a short term solution, downgrading the bios (file SP23587.exe, 1107177 bytes)
did help here (at least uptime is now more than 5 hours). For a long term solution
complaining at HP might help.

Regards,
Holger Kipp