Date:      Wed, 12 Feb 2003 06:11:29 +0100
From:      "Paul A. Mayer" <paul@fnug.net>
To:        Patrick Quealy <q@quealy.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck_ext2fs

Hi Patrick,

Did you remember to install the e2fstools (i.e., e2fsck) from ports?

BTW:  I had an ext2 partion on my laptop (5.0-R) that I wanted to share
with a linux installation, which I run ocassionally on the same machine.
  Essentially doing what you are talking about here (running ext2 from
freebsd in r/w mode) trashed the ext2 partion so bad that I had to newfs
it in the end.  (Luckily it was just a means to move data which was
backed up elsewhere.)  While that partition was still "living", I had to
boot to linux to fsck it manually (e.g., after a system crash or the
like).  Otherwise, I had it marked 'noauto' in fstab, and mounted it
manually as needed.

Now, believe it or not, I'm using a FAT32 partition to do the same data
exchange, (reasoning that both OS's support for FAT32 is better than
their respective support for ext2 or ufs).  I've had no problems after
making that change.

/Paul