Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 08:44:18 +0100
From:      Darren Wyn Rees <merlin@rhydywaun.fsnet.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading FreeBSD 3.3 (& IP Masquerading)

I've installed a copy of FreeBSD3.3 which came with the Walnut Creek/
Lehey "Complete FreeBSD" book. Now, I'd like to install an up-to-date
FreeBSD and use it in one box on a LAN as a server.  I'd like this
machine to be the only machine connected to the 'outside'/Internet,
but enable other local machines to connect via the FreeBSD box.

Some questions I'd like to ask you :

* Can I buy the Cheapbytes FreeBSD 4.0 CD, & upgrade with this ?
How do I do that... Do I install using the FreeBSD3.3 disks, and
then upgrade various packages from the 4.0 disk ?

* I'm confused by the terminology... From the linux world,
the HOWTOs I've read use the term "IP Masquerading", but I don't find
that with FreeBSD... I find terms such as "IP aliasing".  Is this just
a synonym, or is  there something more radically different betwixt the
two ?

Thanks.

--
Le biblioteche ci hanno dato il potere,
poi il lavoro č venuto e ci ha reso liberi.